Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Testimony by Diana Sprouse re Mark Bowles

April 15, 2015 UPDATE: Mark Bowles, a United States veteran with mental illness and epilepsy, is to be sentenced on April 16 (following tax day) for charges that he was not allowed to give any defense for at trial. Apparently, no defense whatsoever was allowed. Bowles has progressive atrophy of his brain, and his prognosis is death. He should probably be in hospice. He is very afraid of dying alone in prison. He is afraid of being accosted again and unable to fight off potential rapists this time. This is an urgent note from his mother:

Mark is very suicidal again now in jail. He has had three surgeries this week from swallowing objects in jail in the suicide cell. Now he has done worse to himself, and the hospital has refused to treat him. Sentencing is tomorrow. If you're a praying man or woman, please do pray for my son. He has literally lost his mind over this now. God bless you in Jesus name.

Mark went to trial in 2014 for an assault that he did not do but was DENIED any defense at trial. The jury asked if Mark had mental illness or was taking any medications, and the judge REFUSED to give jurors any answer.Mark is in solitary confinement now in Sherburne County Jail in Minnesota, charged for terrorizing a DOG he told to shut up barking, because Mark could not stand the loud sound with his head injuries.

In 2014, just out of coma after fighting off a jailhouse rapist, Mark had an epileptic seizure and frightened a nurse who fell and bumped her own head, but the system blamed Mark for assault for being sick! Yes, it is outrageous, I know. But there is no law against prison investors being judges and prosecutors, although that is a direct conflict of interest.  The quest for prison profits has apparently taken over the United States of America and its legal system.

Call the U.S. Veterans Association and protest a veteran being mistreated like Mark Bowles is, please:  Main number: 1 800 273 8255
St. Cloud, MN V.A. office: 320 252 1670 ext 6719
Mark's mother was told he has inserted things up his penis today and the hospital refuses treatment. He needs to be taken to the V.A. Hospital. He previously swallowed a spoon (in suicide watch, he should not have been given silverware), and before that he swallowed a bolt (where did he get a bolt?). 
Call the governor of Minnesota, also: Gov. Mark Dayton
Telephone: 651-201-3400 
Toll Free: 800-657-3717 
Minnesota Relay: 800-627-3529 
Fax: 651-797-1850 

Read more at the article below. Please share this article by using the url: 
http://dogjusticeformentallyill.blogspot.com/2015/04/testimony-by-diana-sprouse-re-mark.html

This is My Sworn Affidavit And Testimony Before The Living God Concerning My Son, Gregory Mark Bowles.

My name is Diana Sprouse, and I am the natural mother of Gregory Mark Bowles. Thank you in advance for the opportunity to tell the court a bit about my son today and what he has been through these past two years of his life.


Mark arrived in Minnesota for a two-week Easter vacation from another State late March 2013. He had been working very hard on rebuilding his life after having been in a car accident in 2001, which left him with brain injuries, and another accident in 2011, which left him with epilepsy along with permanent spinal cord damage requiring a titanium plate and a spacer where his L-1 vertebrae was shattered, and a rib removed. He also lost his fiancee and unborn child in the accident, causing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). He was honorably discharged from Ft. Benning due to his medical condition in late May 2001. On arrival to Minnesota for Easter vacation, Mark was on several anti-seizure drugs, yet he continued to have severe grand-mal, petti-mal and absence seizures.

Mark was assaulted and beaten severely in the head by a man who attempted to rape him shortly after he arrived in Minnesota. He sustained significant permanent brain damage as a result of that assault. He was also overdosed on one of his seizure medications, phenobarbital, and was having almost nonstop seizures. He had to be calmed down and redirected constantly as he was reliving the assault in his mind continually and was terrified and confused as to where he was. Mark did not know who I was either. I had to call him by a childhood nickname to resolve the confusion in his mind as to my identity, repeatedly. He was throwing up and slurring his words. He could not stand, sit or walk. His spine was also re-injured during the assault. He was getting worse, so I called the Mayo Clinic for instructions and help. I had to make a pallet on the floor for him on which he rested. I stayed with Mark as he lost all sense of reality. He couldn't remember that he couldn't walk or stand or sit and had fallen out of bed several times trying to get up in his own.



I was told to transport Mark to the St. Cloud hospital emergency department immediately by ambulance. At the time, he didn't know where he was, who I was, and could not walk, was slurring his words. Mark could not see or focus well, he had no hand eye coordination. He could not feed or even catheterize himself to urinate. Dr. Reynolds, the attending ER doctor at St. Cloud Hospital, ran labs and learned that Mark's phenobarbital levels were in the high 80s range. I was told that Mark would have died had he not received medical help when he did.

After six days in the hospital, with a full time Personal Care Attendant (PCA) and myself redirecting Mark constantly and trying to keep him calm and in his bed (he had fallen out several times at the hospital, also), he was moved to the neurological floor with all new staff members who did not know him. I left the room for a break and returned, and he again did not know who I was. He told me to get out of his room. The charge nurse heard him and would not allow me back into his room. I tried to explain that he needed my assistance. She continued to say no, not until he said I could come back in. By that evening I went home for the first time. The following day his phenobarbital levels were in the 50'
s. This is in the St. Cloud lab reports and hospital records for that day. Mark's levels were still dangerously lethal and toxic. 

Mark continued to have multiple seizures. He could not see well enough to unlock his cell phone or call home without assistance. He had to be told I was gone and where he was again. He got help to call home. He asked me why I wasn't there with him. Mark had no memory of telling me to leave his room at all. It was snowing, and we had a complete whiteout that day. I could not get back to St. Cloud due to the weather conditions, and I explained this to Mark. He wanted me to borrow a snowmobile and return. I explained that was impossible and asked Mark if he could see out of his window there. He asked the PCA if there was a storm. She told him yes, a bad storm. This was the day that my son was charged with these crimes, your Honor. His speech was still slurred, and he still could not focus to see how to unlock his own phone or use it. He couldn't understand why I couldn't drive a snowmobile 55 miles one-way to get to him in the middle of a complete whiteout.


The following morning as I was walking out of the door to go to the hospital, I received a phone call from a social worker who asked me to return to the hospital and help keep my son calm and redirected. When I arrived, Mark had been moved to ICU. He was asleep, alone with no PCA. He was in soft restraints. Mark was covered in strawberry glaze from trying to feed himself. I was told to wake him up, clean him up and dress him for the police who were on their way to arrest him! For the first time, I saw a notice of a 72-hour hold on the counter in his room.

I met with Dr. John Bower in the hospital hallway. He told me my son was being charged with assault, because he had scared a nurse and also one had fallen and hit her head. I asked if they were going to be alright. He said yes, they were just shaken up a bit and that one of the nurses had to have an x-Ray or scan in Emergency. I apologized and said I was glad they were alright and that I was sorry for them having been scared. I told Dr. Bower that I did not understand how this could have happened. I also told Dr. Bower that my son had been very confused and was terrified due to his PTSD, epilepsy, brain injuries, the lethal levels of medication and his assault. I informed the doctor that I would never would have left Mark alone had I had not been made to do so by the head nurse, Brandy, of the Neuro Unit. I promised to do my best to get Mark prepared for jail. Tammy, a family friend, and I awakened Mark, and I gave him a sponge bath before telling him the police were on their way. As I was dressing him, I began to tell him what I had been told.

Mark was crying and saying, "I couldn't have scared anyone; I just couldn't have done that. I've been in my bed haven't I?"

I told him we would straighten it out and not to worry, it was a misunderstanding. I believed that it was, and I still do.

At the police car, my son asked the male officer why he was going to jail. My son was still slurring his words. The officer told him that he had assaulted a nurse. My son screamed out, "I've never hit a woman in my life. I wouldn't do that."

He put one foot down on the ground from his wheelchair. The officer said to him, "Well, you did."

My son responded in hysteria with tears, "If that's true, then just go ahead and kill me now. I don't deserve to live, then. Just kill me and get it over with, then."

My son kept repeating those statements. I tried to calm him down and told him we would straighten this out and not to worry.

The officer called in and said, "We are going to need help with this one."

I had to help my son out of the wheelchair and into the squad car. I had to lift his feet and put them in the car. He could not. He was hysterical - crying, confused, and unsteady physically, falling back and forth in the back seat as I watched the woman officer drive him away.

His life before this happened consisted of his daily online college courses to become an Internet security technologist. Mark enjoyed reading, (he was an avid reader) and writing short stories and poetry. Mark was writing two books. He loved listening to music and playing his acoustic guitar. He enjoyed cooking and fishing. Mark was engaged to be married to a schoolteacher and was looking forward to that once he had graduated from college. He ran five miles every morning. He helped the homeless with food and clothing. He was happy and laughed a lot. Mark was kind and considerate to everyone he met, although he had been beaten and robbed many times during seizures on his way to the bus stop. He had an extensive vocabulary and a genius level IQ. He worked with children who were neglected and in trouble. He hoped to have children of his own one day. Mark loved life, people, and most animals. He was outgoing and polite. He never met a stranger, and gave his time freely to others as well as his actions and resources.

After being arrested and removed from the hospital, Mark was again overdosed on a different anti-seizure drug - a time-released Dilatin. When I bonded Mark out of jail, he was worse than ever. Two deputies delivered him to the car in a wheelchair. Mark was throwing up and couldn't stand the light. Mark had to put his head in his lap, and we stopped the car to allow Mark to vomit several times. He was again hospitalized immediately because of time-released Dilatin toxicity. Mark also had a brain concussion. He was having seizures and was incoherent. He quickly contracted pneumonia and a staff infection and was put into a drug-induced coma. I broke his DNR/DNI so they could try to use dialysis to flush it out of his system. Mark was hallucinating and had to be kept in hard six-point restraints.

Mark still had no idea what was going on or where he was. He was hooked up 24/7 to an EEG machine with video monitoring. Medical personnel were not able to do dialysis; the Dilatin was protein-bound, they said. The hospital brought Mark out of the coma several weeks later and immediately gave him medications that he was highly allergic to. This caused Mark to have a stroke and go into a vegetative state where he could not do or say anything at all. Mark would just look at the ceiling, and a tear would fall occasionally from his eyes. He was completely unresponsive to any stimuli. The EEG reports indicated that Mark's brain activity was 'abnormal' during the vegetative state. This continued for several days, and no one could predict when or if he would come out of it.

When Mark recovered from the overdose, he was a totally different person. He weighed only 140 pounds. He could barely talk at all. He whispered like everything was a secret. Mark could not stand, walk, feed himself, dress himself, or remember anything. Mark was paranoid and scared of people. He was anxious and couldn't sleep very long. Mark was released from the hospital in this condition. He could not stand lights or quick movement. Normal sound was very loud to him, and he was still throwing up a lot.

Mark would ask for food and say, "I'm hungry" while he was chewing his food. He would ask for his medication while it was in his mouth and I was handing him a glass of water with which to take the meds. His hands and feet are still 15 percent colder than the rest of his body. He has no feeling in his feet. They are still numb. 
Mark would sweat profusely all of the time.

Mark's eyes are still very sensitive to light at this time, and he cannot deal with any flashing light or loud noises. They scare him. He does not like the same foods, same colors, same music, or most of the things that he once did. He has insomnia and headaches with horrible back pain. He suffers from depression and anxiety, making being in public very difficult for him. He doesn't talk for days at a time and even when he does, his words come out all at once and garbled. Mark has to think about every step he takes, because his feet are numb. He cannot feel where he is stepping. He burned his hand in the microwave, because he couldn't feel how hot the food was. He even drank a cup of bleach thinking it was water one day. Thankfully, it caused Mark to vomit immediately.

Since June or July of 2013, Mark has had to learn his alphabets again and how to write and do simple math. He had to relearn how to read, walk, use his computer, brush his teeth, dress himself, and talk. He also relearned how to bathe, wash his hair, and fold his clothes. Mark relearned what to wear in cold weather versus warm weather. He looks at pictures and does brain games to rebuild pathways in his brain that were destroyed. He exercises to strengthen his hands and all muscles that had atrophied.

I've seen him smile only twice in two years, very briefly. He cries a lot and lives in fear of dying alone in prison. I've heard him laugh just once. His short- and long-term memory fails, and he cannot always remember conversations or instructions. Things get stuck in his thoughts and he cannot get them out. He has Generalized Brain Atrophy. Mark's entire brain has been shrinking consistently every three months since July 2013, according to his CT scans. Mark has had several nervous breakdowns, and he tried to kill himself many times [since his prosecution began related to the St. Cloud Hospital incident when the nurse fell].

Mark was committed to the State hospital for one year by Anoka County Court, but after two months in the psych unit of a regular hospital, Mark was simply sent home in a cab one day.

My son was to be going to the inpatient TBI/Spinal Cord Damage Unit at The Courage Center in Golden Valley after completing a neuro and psychological evaluation in February 2015. He was going to be able to relearn all that he could and try to have a better life. We planned to get a seizure dog to help him. It was a step-down program, and they planned to treat Mark's anxiety and depression as well as teach him new ways to compensate for the damaged parts of his brain. He was excited about this. We both looked forward to it. However, we were never able to get that done, because Mark had another nervous breakdown and ended up in jail in Sherburne County after trying to kill himself daily for five days. The hospital kept sending him home in cabs. Mark eventually lost his sense of reason and ended up in the backyard with his broken ankle yelling at a dog to shut up as he lay on the snowbank. Mark had lost his crutches and balance and had fallen down again.

Mark was transported to Mercy Hospital for the fourth time in five days, and no hold was ever put on him despite his suicide attempts. They kept Mark overnight and released him again. He was leaving to come home by cab when he was arrested by the Elk River Police Department and charged with making terrorist threats. This was from the day Mark lay helplessly on a snowbank in the yard with a catheter in his hand, telling the dog repeatedly, "Shut up or I'll kill you." I could see Mark and hear him from my balcony.

The police showed up, and an officer told Mark to stand up and face him now or he was going to kill him. The officer counted to three, and I ran down the stairs. An officer came over to me, and I explained what had been happening for days. I told the police that Mark felt like he was losing his mind. While I talked, Mark kept saying, "I can't take anymore. I'm only human, and I've tried my best. I've tried so hard, but I can't take anymore, Mama."

Other police officers had heard Mark saying this, too, on previous days. Police loaded him in an ambulance and sent him back to Mercy.

My son called me from jail after having finally made it to the general population from a suicide cell 23/7 for weeks. He couldn't remember that he was not to take his apple into his cell. An antidepressant was found in Mark's socks, and he was put back in solitary confinement for these "offenses." He is cold, scared and alone again with no PTSD medication and no pain medications. He is not a violent person and does not present a threat to anyone but himself because of his depression. This case and all that Mark has been through mentally, emotionally, and physically have really negatively impacted
 him. He is unable to speak at all sometimes for days without the psychiatric drugs or the natural meds he took at home. 

The best way that I can describe Mark is that caring for him was like being given a 6'2" baby who had to relearn everything all over again. He still can't cook, and he needs a lot of reminders to complete simple tasks. He cannot exercise basic living skills, and all of his friends have left him because he cannot communicate with them anymore. His fiancee has moved on with her life, too. He had to quit college for good. We don't know how much time Mark has left to live, as his brain continues to shrink from atrophy.

The Minnesota Brain Alliance has told me to enjoy the time I have left with Mark. They said to enjoy each moment that I have with my son, because he won't be alive long.

His psychiatrist told us in January 2015 at his last appointment that it was time for me to become his legal guardian and that Mark is a vulnerable adult now. We were working with the county ARMS program and still in need of the neuro psychological evaluation to complete the process. 


My son has a kind heart and good moral standards. He is, however, very naive about the danger some people can cause. He is too trusting sometimes and gets hurt and misused by people because of it.

I hope you now know who Gregory Mark Bowles really is. He is not a mean, bad man. He is a broken man who needs healing, help, love and hope. He also needs a seizure dog and deserves to live out the rest of his life in peace, as much as possible. I'm so sorry for Anne Ohlman and what she experienced as a case manner for Behavioral Health that day. I wish she had read Mark's chart so she would have understood what my son was experiencing. Mark got underneath his bed to get away from her out of fear. He never meant to scare her or hurt anyone at all. He just wanted to go home and was told by the PCA that he could do that if he could walk. So he solicited help to walk. Then Mark was angry when the PCA admitted she had lied to him. That's when he yelled and screamed and said, "Get new out of here," as written in the victim's statements.

Thank you for the Court's time today, Your Honor.

Most Sincerely,
Diana Sprouse
DianaBeth1975@gmail.com
April 14 2015

________
Pictures below chronicle Mark's decline since his beating and attempted rape while in jail. The first two photos show Diana Sprouse's son as he was before arriving in Minnesota for Easter 2013, and the second two are "after" photos:


The photo below shows what this ordeal has done to U.S. veteran Mark Bowles and how he looks presently:

Remarks by Mary Neal, lead claimant in "AIMI vs. USA": We thank Diana Sprouse for giving testimony about her injured son. She shows great courage and incredible strength as she continues to fight for justice for Mark Bowles while dealing with her own case of legal abuse syndrome (LAS). Mentally ill people like Mark Bowles should not be warehoused in jails and assaulted by strong, aggressive prisoners or guards intent on raping them. Many die like Mark is dying of brain atrophy now, according to his medical reports. Yet this young man who should probably be in hospice is still being prosecuted because a medical staff person panicked who obviously was not trained to treat a man with epilepsy. Mark was confused as he had recently emerged from a coma. He yelled, and the woman fell and bumped her own head. Mark lay vulnerable in the snow fearing a barking dog, unable to walk, but he was later jailed for terrorizing the dog when he threatened it and is in jail now. This demonstrates plainly that people need Dog Justice in America.

********
Thank you for supporting "AIMI vs. USA" and giving
Assistance to the Incarcerated Men

It would be illegal to keep a dog in a tight space 23 hours a day and gas or Taser him for barking. It would be illegal to put a dog in deadly restraint for control. That happens to mentally ill people routinely in the nation's correctional facilities. What happened to Larry Neal? Why are we still asking that question after nearly 12 years? Cover-ups regarding the wrongful deaths of mentally challenged inmates and free people in the USA are common but unacceptable.
Mary Neal, director of AIMI
TRY to phone me at (678)531.0262 or (571)335-1741
Mentally Ill Americans Need Dog Justice. Treat mental illness medically, not legally. Support the H.R. 3717 "Helping Families in Mental Health Crisis Act." The U.S. congressional bill provides for crisis intervention team (CIT) training for police and corrections officers, assisted outpatient treatment (AOT) programs to stop recidivism, and other needed changes. Support "AIMI vs. USA" to compensate mentally ill people and their families for health discrimination.

5 comments:

MaryLovesJustice Neal said...

Excerpt from "Testimony by Diana Sprouse re Mark Bowles" >>

Mark was assaulted and beaten severely in the head by a man who attempted to rape him shortly after he arrived in Minnesota. He sustained significant permanent brain damage as a result of that assault. He was also overdosed on one of his seizure medications, phenobarbital, and was having almost nonstop seizures. He had to be calmed down and redirected constantly as he was reliving the assault in his mind continually and was terrified and confused as to where he was. Mark did not know who I was either. I had to call him by a childhood nickname to resolve the confusion in his mind as to my identity, repeatedly. He was throwing up and slurring his words. He could not stand, sit or walk. His spine was also re-injured during the assault. He was getting worse, so I called the Mayo Clinic for instructions and help. I had to make a pallet on the floor for him on which he rested. I stayed with Mark as he lost all sense of reality. He couldn't remember that he couldn't walk or stand or sit and had fallen out of bed several times trying to get up in his own.

I was told to transport Mark to the St. Cloud hospital emergency department immediately by ambulance. At the time, he didn't know where he was, who I was, and could not walk, was slurring his words. Mark could not see or focus well, he had no hand eye coordination. He could not feed or even Cath himself to urinate. Dr. Reynolds, the attending ER doctor at St. Cloud Hospital ran labs and learned that his phenobarbital levels were in the high 80s range. I was told that Mark would have died had he not received medical help when he did.
______
Google, why did I have to decipher a Captcha code for this comment? I thought my settings are set for NO Captcha codes. I want it to be very easy for people to comment at these articles. I will check to see if stalkers changed my settings. Thanks.

wiseoldsnail said...

i'm so very sorry this is happening . so many of us are working nonstop to address police and other systemic violence, especially against unarmed, innocent and disabled people

unfortunately, there are still more people who want this to be happening, to insure their false sense of 'security' ... than there are those of us fighting against these abuses

Unknown said...

This is insanity! My heart is broken . So so is this system.

MaryLovesJustice Neal said...

Diana Beth reports, "KEEP PRAYING FOR MARK. THE PRISON DOESN'T KNOW OF THEY CAN MANAGE HIS NEEDS EVEN IN MEDICAL!!!!"

The prison is decent to make this admission, Diana. Your son must be released from this tremendous weight of oppression for having epilepsy and mental illness and be allowed to seek treatment through the V.A. and his mother's attention.

I pray that officials in Minnesota will do the right thing and save Mark Bowles from dying alone and terrorized in prison. Will everyone please continue to call the Governor of Minnesota and the V.A. to see what can be done to stop this tragedy from continuing?

The judge recused himself from Mark's case, but something must be done to stop judges from presiding over trials where defendants are allowed to give no defense. This is the saddest story that AIMI is covering right now, and we cover some doozies.

Thank you for giving "Assistance to the Incarcerated Mentally Ill."

Unknown said...

Nice Blog!!! Thanks for sharing the informative info....Family law is an area of the law that deals with family matters and domestic relations.
Testamentary Trust Lawyer